Student Travel GrantsACM SIGACT is providing funds (currently estimated at $25,000) to support student registration, travel, and accommodation for STOC 2015.
These travel awards are for students who are short on funds and are intended to help cover their registration, travel, and accomodation expenses. An advisor may nominate at most two students for a travel award. To apply for a travel award, email the information listed below to: email@example.com by May 9, 2015. Late applications will not be accepted. You will be notified about your status by May 13 which is prior to the STOC early registration deadline and the May 16 hotel cut-off date.
To apply you must
- Send an email with the following items:
- Your university, academic standing, academic interests, expected graduation date, expected degree, and advisor.
- Whether you are applying to any other FCRC conference (e.g. SPAA, CCC, etc) for travel support? If so, please list the conference or conferences and the dates you plan to stay.
- Your estimated expenses in US dollars:
- A US dollar estimate of the airfare/transportion cost to FCRC.
- The number of nights you will need hotel accommodation associated with STOC. Hotel expenses will be limited to half the cost of a hotel room per night at conference rates. Students are encouraged to share rooms.
- Whether you need support for your conference registration. Registration expenses will be limited to the student early registration fee.
- Other travel funds that are available to you.
- Indicate whether you have received a travel award to attend FOCS or STOC in the recent past.
- Write a brief statement (no more than half a page) saying how you will benefit from attending the conference.
- SIGACT encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups for
(Optional:) Please indicate if you are a member of such a group, or are at an institution that is not typically represented at STOC.
- Have your advisor send a support letter, which also describes the availability of other travel funds. This should be sent with subject line "support letter for [your name]". This is very important. Your application is not complete without this letter.