Student Travel Awards
SIGACT supports student travel to STOC. For STOC 2009, SIGACT anticipates making up to $25,000 of Student Travel Awards, depending in part on available external funding. These awards are for needy students to help cover expenses related to attending STOC 2009. Preference will be given to students who are STOC authors. To apply email the information listed below to Richard Cole, the SIGACT treasurer, by March 20, 2009. The email address is treasurer last name (no caps) at cs dot nyu dot edu. Please use the following subject line: "STOC09 travel award".
- Title of paper, if you are an author.
- Will you be presenting the paper?
- University name and country.
- A detailed expense list, in US dollars.
- Other travel funds that are available to you.
- A statement from your advisor on availability of travel funds (note: vague statements such as "funds are tight" are not informative).
- SIGACT encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups for these awards. (Optional) Please indicate if you are part of such a group.
- (For non-authors only.) A short statement describing you academic standing and interests, your expected graduation date and degree, advisor's name, and, if available, a URL for a working Web page. Also indicate whether and when you have attended previous major theory conferences (e.g. STOC and FOCS).
This information will be used to prioritize the awards. The awards will be announced shortly after the deadline. Late applications will not be accepted.
You should receive an email acknowledging your application within 3 weekdays. If not, please resubmit or contact the treasurer by some other means.
Student travel to STOC 2009 is supported by ACM SIGACT and the
National Science Foundation, Grant No. CCF-0923716.
Developing Country Travel Awards
SIGACT supports travel of faculty and researchers from developing countries to STOC. Developing Country Travel Awards will be made each year up to a total of $5,000. These awards are for needy faculty and researchers, including students, to help cover expenses related to attending STOC. Applicants should be STOC authors or co-authors, or be contributing to the conference in some other way. To apply email the information outlined above under items 1 through 5 (items 6-8 are not required) by March 20, 2009. If you are a student applying for a Developing Country Travel Award please explicitly mention in your application that you are applying for this award and not the regular award.
You should receive an email acknowledging your application within 3 weekdays. If not, please follow up as indicated above.