ACM STOC Conference
The Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC), is the flagship
conference of SIGACT, the Special Interest Group on Algorithms and Computation
Theory, a special interest group of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
It has been held annually since 1969, traditionally in May/June.
STOC covers all areas of research within Algorithms and Computation Theory.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: algorithms and data
structures, computational complexity, randomness in computing, algorithmic
graph theory and combinatorics, approximation algorithms, cryptography,
computational learning theory, economics and computation, parallel and
distributed algorithms, quantum computing, algorithmic coding theory,
computational geometry, computational applications of logic, optimization,
algebraic algorithms, and theoretical aspects of areas such as networks,
privacy, computational biology, and databases.
Papers that broaden the reach of the theory of computing, or raise important
problems that can benefit from theoretical investigation and analysis, are
Danny Lewin Best Student Paper Award
A prize is given to the author(s) of the best student-authored paper (or split
between more than one paper if there is a tie). A paper is eligible if all
of its authors are full-time students at the time of submission. This must be
indicated in the submission registration process.
The annual SIGACT business meeting is traditionally held during one evening
of the STOC conference. Attendance is open to all members of the theoretical
computer science community. SIGACT prizes, including the Knuth Prize, Gödel Prize, ACM-SIGACT Distinguished Service Prize, and the Danny Lewin Best Student Paper Award are traditionally awarded at the Business Meeting.
- STOC 2017 will be a Theory Festival held in Montreal, PQ, Canada on June 19-23, 2017.
- STOC 2018, the 50th STOC, will be held in greater Los Angeles, CA, USA (not far from the location of the 1st STOC)
in the latter half of June 2018.
Previous Conference Websites
- STOC 2016 in Cambridge, MA, USA.
- STOC 2015 in Portland, OR, USA.
- STOC 2014 in New York, NY, USA.
- STOC 2013 in Palo Alto, CA, USA.
- STOC 2012 in New York, NY, USA.
- STOC 2011 in San Jose, CA, USA.
- STOC 2010 in Cambridge, MA, USA.
- STOC 2009 in Bethesda, MD, USA.
- STOC 2008 in Victoria, BC, Canada.
- STOC 2007 in San Diego, CA, USA.
- STOC 2006 in Seattle, WA, USA.
- STOC 2005 in Baltimore, MD, USA.
- STOC 2004 in Chicago, IL, USA.
- STOC 2003 in San Diego, CA, USA.
- STOC 2002 in Montreal, PQ, Canada.
- STOC 2001 in Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
- STOC 2000 in Portland, OR, USA.
- STOC 1999 in Atlanta, GA, USA.
- STOC 1998 in Dallas, TX, USA.
- STOC 1997 in El Paso, TX, USA.
- STOC 1996 in Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- STOC 1995 in Las Vegas, NV, USA.
Conferences before the web
- STOC 1994 in Montreal, PQ, Canada, May 23-25.
- STOC 1993 in San Diego, CA, USA, May 16-18.
- STOC 1992 in Victoria, BC, Canada, May 4-5.
- STOC 1991 in New Orleans, LA, USA, May 5-8.
- STOC 1990 in Baltimore, MD, USA, May 13-17.
- STOC 1989 in Seattle, WA, USA, May 14-17.
- STOC 1988 in Chicago, IL, USA, May 2-4.
- STOC 1987 in New York, NY, USA, May 25-27.
- STOC 1986 in Berkeley, CA, USA, May 28-30.
- STOC 1985 in Providence, RI, USA, May 6-8.
- STOC 1984 in Washington, DC, USA, April 30 - May 2.
- STOC 1983 in Boston, MA, USA, April 25-27.
- STOC 1982 in San Francisco, CA, USA, May 5-7.
- STOC 1981 in Milwaukee, WI, USA, May 11-13.
- STOC 1980 in Los Angeles, CA, USA, April 28-30.
- STOC 1979 in Atlanta, GA, USA, April 30 - May 2.
- STOC 1978 in San Diego, CA, USA, May 1-3.
- STOC 1977 in Boulder, CO, USA, May 2-4.
- STOC 1976 in Hershey, PA, USA, May 3-5.
- STOC 1975 in Albuquerque, NM, USA, May 5-7.
- STOC 1974 in Seattle, WA, USA, April 30 - May 2.
- STOC 1973 in Austin, TX, USA, April 30 - May 2.
- STOC 1972 in Denver, CO, USA, May 1-3.
- STOC 1971 in Shaker Heights, OH, USA, May 3-5.
- STOC 1970 in Northamption, MA, USA, May 4-6.
- STOC 1969 in Marin Del Rey, CA, USA, May 5-7.
STOC Proceedings are
available in the ACM Digital Library.